Single Family Gut Rehab
HISTORY: Gischel's Butcher Shop
This storefront at the corner of Wyoming and Ohio was built in 1897. Jacob Gischel had his butcher shop on the first floor, and he and his family lived upstairs. The Gischels bought the shop and dwelling in 1901 for $3,000. Mr. Gischel and wife Louisa then sold the property in 1923. It had two additional owners before William and Bertha Biermann bought the place in 1924. The Biermanns continued to operate a butcher shop in the storefront and lived upstairs. By the mid-1930s the property had changed hands again and the store was listed as a grocery. It remained a neighbohood market with an upstairs apartment until the early 1980s.
This project is funded in part by a grant from the Department of Housing and Urban Development and the Community Development Agency under the Provisions of Title 1 of the Housing and Community Development Act 1974 (P.L. 93-838)