Single Family Gut Rehab
2004 Homer Award Winner for Outstanding Total Renovation/Historic Renovation
HISTORY: The Thomas Martin House
The building permit for this house that sits on the southeast corner of South 12th and Lami streets, was issued on May 4, 1891. It was built at a cost of $7,000 by William Grahl who intended to use it as rental property. Mr. Grahl lived next door at 2333 South 12th and in the 1860s and 70s he was a partner in M. Lamoureax & Company, a wholesale dealer in dry goods, boots and shoes. In the 1880s and 90s, Mr. Grahl worked as a bookkeeper at the Lemp Brewery.
In 2004 the house was rehabbed by Millennium for the current owners Stephen P. Kotsines and John J. Hecht.Thomas Martin, a saloon owner who came to St. Louis from New York, rented the house from 1892 to 1900. The household consisted of Mr. Martin, his wife Katie and their children, George, Minnie and Nellie. His mother-in-law, a servant and a valet also lived with them. The property continued as a rental until 1916 when it was sold to the Baudendistel family. Then there were several more owners until 1956 when the Hall family purchased the property. The house remained in their family till 1996.