Single Family Gut Rehab
HISTORY: Jacob Gischel's Rental Property
Jacob Gischel, a butcher who owned the property next door, also owned the lot and in 1902 he obtained a permit to build a two-story dwelling here for $3,600. The flats were designed by Anton Riewe and built by Charles W. Schuler a carpenter who lived in the neighorhood. Upon completion, the two flats were rented by working class families. In 1923 the Gischel family sold the property. After that the building had numerous owners and remained rental property through the 1980s. Beyond that we know very little except that the property was acquired by the Land Reutilization Authority. Millennium acquired the property and began work on gutting and redeveloping it in early 2006.
This project is funded in part by a grant from the Department of Housing and Urban Development and the Community Development Agency under the Provisions of Title 1 of the Housing and Community Development Act 1974 (P.L. 93-838)