Single Family Gut Rehab
2003 Homer Award Winner for
Outstanding Adaptive/Historic Renovation
HISTORY: The Jacob Gabel House
This house was built in 1892 by Jacob Gabel. Mr. Gabel was a carpenter and businessman. He married Martha Eyermann, whose family had lived in the neighborhood since the mid-1860s. The two lots that the house sits on were originally owned by Mrs. Gabel's father, Gottlieb Eyermann. He had purchased the lots in 1882 from the estate of Edward Delano. When Mr. Eyermann died in 1888, the lots went to his children and in 1891 they were deeded to Martha.
Withstanding a series of owners, the house continued to exist as a two-family unit until the 1980s when the St. Louis Land Reutilization Authority [LRA] took possession of it in 2001. The house began as a single family residence but by 1918 it had become a two-family.This three-story beauty remained in the Gabel family until 1946 when Harry and Pearl Eggers bought it.
Millennium then purchased the property from the LRA in 2002 and returned it to its original design as a single family residence.
This project is funded in part by a grant from the Department of Housing and Urban Development and the Community Development Agency under the Provisions of Title 1 of the Housing and Community Development Act 1974 (P.L. 93-838)