Two Family Gut Rehab
The upstairs luxury apartment at 3457 Arsenal received a 2003 Homer Award for Outstanding Adaptive/Historic Renovation
HISTORY: The Old Butcher Shop and Flats
The property lot for this building can be traced back to 1876. The following note was recorded when the deed was transferred,
"In trust that party second, shall forever use said property and its proceeds for the support, aid and maintenance of the R.C. Orphans of the city and county of St. Louis, Missouri, especially those of German birth or descent."
In keeping with this request, the lot was deeded in 1903 to the Ursuline Convent and Academy. In 1907, the Grand Realty Company and architect C.H. Finch were granted a permit to build a two-story store and flats on the site at a cost of $7,000.
In 1909, August and Julia Kreutzer bought the building and Mr. Kreutzer opened his butcher shop downstairs. The family lived upstairs at 3457 and rented out the flat over 3459. The butcher shop, later listed as a grocery store, was actually in the Kreutzer family until 1941. For the next 32 years, the store went through a few owners and several name changes. In 1975 it became Frosty's Kwik Shop, and that would be the last of the businesses to occupy the space.
The building stood vacant from the mid-1980s through the 1990s.The St. Louis Land Reutilization Authority [LRA] acquired the property in 1999. Only months later, Millennium purchased it knowing it would fit the bill for the live/work space they needed. They put their business office downstairs in the old grocery space and the upstairs was converted into a luxury apartment for co-owner and vice-president Tim Vogt.
This project is funded in part by a grant from the Department of Housing and Urban Development and the Community Development Agency under the Provisions of Title 1 of the Housing and Community Development Act 1974 (P.L. 93-838)