Single Family Gut Rehab
2005 Homer Award Winner for Outstanding Adaptive/Historic Renovation
HISTORY: The George Gerber House
George Gerber was the owner of a building and contracting business in South St. Louis. In 1906 he designed and built this house for himself and his wife Charlotte, at a cost of $3,900.
Around 1910, Mr. Gerber disposed of his contracting business and went into real estate, insurance and became a Notary Public. He had his business offices in this house.
It is not known what happened with the property after that, but in 2002, Millennium acquired the house from the St. Louis Land Reutilization Authority [LRA]. This home, along with the ones at 3509 and 3511, were actually legends in the neighborhood — and not in a good way. Because of their dilapidated appearance, locals had appointed them "The Three Stooges", but that's all behind them now. When Millennium finished the redevelopment in 2004, they began their new life and were informally re-named "The Three Knights" in a ribbon-cutting ceremony presided over by Mayor Francis G. Slay and Alderman Stephen Conway.In addition to himself and his wife, the 1910 census listed two daughters, Selina who was a dressmaker and Francis, a saleslady. Two sons were also noted. Eugene made his living as a carpenter and Louis, was an electrician.
This project is funded in part by a grant from the Department of Housing and Urban Development and the Community Development Agency under the Provisions of Title 1 of the Housing and Community Development Act 1974 (P.L. 93-838).