Single Family Gut Rehab
2004 Homer Award Winner for Outstanding Total Renovation/Historic Renovation
HISTORY: The Marie Peron Flats
In 1908 Marie A. Peron hired architect, C.S. Van Keuren to design some rental flats for her. She then had A.J. Hess build them at a cost of $5,000. The first gentlemen to rent the flats were Ferdinand A. Barthels, owner of Barthels Cigar Company, a wholesale cigar business and his vice-president Joseph Jordan. By 1918 Clarence W. Bahn, an optician and Louis P. Meyerson, a salesman, were living here.
In the early 1970s the residents were the Halliburton and Hauskins families. They were both still residing here into the 1980s but ten years later, only the Hauskins family remained.In the late 1920s Mrs. Charlotte Tubbesing had bought the property and she and her family were listed as residents until the early 1940s. After that and through the 1960s the flats were occupied by various tenants.
Millennium acquired the property from the St. Louis Land Reutilization Authority [LRA] in 2002. This home, along with the ones at 3507 and 3511, were actually legends in the neighborhood — and not in a good way. Because of their dilapidated appearance, locals had appointed them "The Three Stooges", but that's all behind them now. When Millennium finished the redevelopment in 2004, they began their new life and were informally re-named "The Three Knights" in a ribbon-cutting ceremony presided over by Mayor Francis G. Slay and Alderman Stephen Conway.
This project is funded in part by a grant from the Department of Housing and Urban Development and the Community Development Agency under the Provisions of Title 1 of the Housing and Community Development Act 1974 (P.L. 93-838).