Single Family Gut Rehab
2004 Homer Award Winner for Outstanding Total Renovation/Historic Renovation
HISTORY: The William Meyer Flats
In 1899, Frederick Engelhart, a carpenter and contractor bought a lot on Juniata and in 1906 he built a $5,450 house there. When it was completed it in 1907, he sold it to William Meyer. Mr. Meyer, a widower purchased the house as rental property. His first tenants were the families of Arthur J. Green and Charles B. Daugherty. Mr. Green was a superintendent for the St. Louis Dressed Beef and Provision Company and Mr. Daugherty was a salesman for the Wholesale Pickle Company.
The Tower Grove Bank and Trust Company who was executor for one of the Rabenhorst sisters, sold the property in 1955 to the Aubermanns and the Muellers. The ownership remained with these families until 1998.In 1920 Mr. Meyer sold the property to Anton Diefenbrown and two years later it was sold again to Louise and Anna Rabenhorst. These sisters resided in one apartment and had tenants in the other. The property remained in their family until 1955.
After that, the St. Louis Land Reutilization Authority [LRA] bought the property and Millennium acquired it from them in 2002. This home, along with the ones at 3507 and 3509, were actually legends in the neighborhood — and not in a good way. Because of their dilapidated appearance, locals had appointed them "The Three Stooges", but that's all behind them now. When Millennium finished the redevelopment in 2004, they began their new life and were informally re-named "The Three Knights" in a ribbon-cutting ceremony presided over by Mayor Francis G. Slay and Alderman Stephen Conway.
This project is funded in part by a grant from the Department of Housing and Urban Development and the Community Development Agency under the Provisions of Title 1 of the Housing and Community Development Act 1974 (P.L. 93-838) .